Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tough Spot

Over the last 2 years, my marriage hit quite a few tough spots. Me, being the internist that I am, I blamed my weight. I figured that if I could be thinner and prettier, my marriage problems would magically disappear. (I hope that I am not the only person who believed that, that would make me feel really stupid and very lonely.)
I've always felt really lucky that my husband is such a loving, supportive, wonderful man that looked past my ridiculous weight problem and continued to love and support me fully.
Then, during a conversation, he told me that my weight bothered him a little bit and affected some of our day-to-day interactions (translation: sex) and I threw myself into a frenzy of failed weight loss attempts, with me coming out heavier each time.
Now that I've spent the last month changing a lot of habits and exercising and cutting back on calories and feeling better about myself, I am starting to see results. People have told me I look like I've lost a few, my sister told me my butt has risen and thighs are smaller and my mil told me that she's proud of me, so I am feeling really awesome and then the bombshell drops:
hubby tells me he wants me to stay home more often.
I tell him, politely, that I need to go to the gym at least 5 times a week to keep a good weight loss trend going. He tells me he doesn't want me to lose too much, that my thighs are just fine, that I can use the treadmill at home, that I don't need to leave the house so much, etc...
WHAT??!!!!
I'm losing this weight for me! for him! for my kids! for myself!
I'm thinking that he will support me through it, cuz he gets a HOT wife afterwards, but NO! He's much less supportive and when I call him on it, he's nonchalant about it. It makes me feel guilty when I want to go to the gym to workout. He offers me "fat foods" and I feel bad for not eating them. We used to have fun eating together, but I was the one gaining a million pounds. He told me he lost his eating buddy. I tell him I gained a whole person.
I feel bad. I feel horrible. And confused. And I don't like confusion. I guess maybe he feels threatened by my boost of confidence or my changing body. I used to turn heads everywhere I went and had to beat guys off with a stick (those were the days! lol) and maybe he's feeling a little "weird" about me getting back to that kind of body... (crosses fingers on that)
Just hit a tough spot, and I guess I wanted to get it off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment